Total Pageviews

Sunday 9 October 2011

It's right glamorous being me you know........

No really, being a scientist in Londons 'Global University' it's just wall to wall glitz. Basically I just swan about in a white coat looking clever, and pondering questions of science.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Nope. I slope about in my jeans and a pair of latex gloves trying to improvise equipment and borrow reagents and repeat the same experiments again and again with the tiniest tweaks here and there because you just know that what you are trying to prove is right. Then you do prove it, once and then you cant do it again.......so you spend the next 12 months trying to work out what is different whilst being reminded that your competitors are also working hard to prove it too. Then you get results that seem wrong, but you keep getting them.................so how are they wrong? You cant assume anything is wrong if it's repeatable.

You have to think about it differently. You have to take a step back and put all your assumptions away.

Hmmm, where am I going with this? Oh yeah, that's like running that is :-D I look at my training log at the moment and I dont see much in it to be honest. But today I was thinking about that on my run. I'm assuming because a few weeks ago I had a good race I should be bouncing around running miles and miles. (Dont tell me I should be tired I wont have it) I'm not. I'm actually struggling to get out the door.

More specifically struggling to get up and run in the mornings. I am a morning runner. I always have been. So I need to take a step back and think about it.

As much as it pains me I am tired. (I can say it). I have repeated something at work which is good but also makes me more busy and thinking a lot (blimey!).

I also have had a pest problem at home (not Mr H he is actually pretty well trained) which has made it hard to sleep and made me a bit down. However I have my fingers crossed we have sorted it this weekend. If we havent I may well be dong a stretch for arson. I dont know if they allow you to blog from prison, but I am sure I will find plenty of other things to fill my time. (I've seen Prisoner cell block H)

Moving seamlessly back to sport, I did kind of follow Kona on twitter so I know the result, and of course CW did amazingly well but I don't understand all the people going on about the non recognition by the bbc etc. Despite me explaining about a million times at work about what an Ironman is, NOBODY KNOWS. And that I feel is going to be true where everybody works. We only know about it because we are freaks who spend far too much time with other freaks, normally running, cycling or swimming, or, just for a bit of a change, talking about running cycling or swimming.

I remember a while ago one of my colleagues asked me how far I had run at the weekend. I replied (whatever it was, something stupid) and she looked at me in disgust and said 'but I don't even like walking'

Sums it up really.

1 comment:

  1. My favourite cliched quote is, (and actually asked of me) "So....how many miles is a marathon? Really? And how many miles was your marathon?"

    As for running in the morning -I had to swap to being a morning runner a few years back, and I am (was) the WORSE person in a morning. However the best quote I ever read about it was in reply to the question,
    'How do you run so early in the morning?'
    Easy. You put one foot in front of the other, swap, and keep repeating...

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete