Total Pageviews

Sunday 17 November 2013

I imagine you are home,

In your room, all alone,
You open your eyes into mine,
And everything feels better.

Cos I hate it when people quote lyrics ;-D right.

I am trying to remember what I've been up to.

*thinks really! really hard*

Hmmm. Oh yeah.

I don't think I did much last weekend. Oh well parkrunned. Wanted to see where I was. 21.55. That's ok, was sub 22, I need to remember that this time last year I couldn't do that with any regularity at all. Then body balance. I'm getting worse at it. I'm not sure how that works, but hey ho.

(As an aside, I'm listening to Beady Eye as I type. Love it!)

Sunday I meant to do an amazing athletic feat or other, as I am of course famous for and so of course I spent the day mooching about the house being useless. I did pack for my course away. A whole week of Proteomics and bioinformatics at the Wellcome Trust in Cambridge. I packed my running gear.

I got there at about 10.30 am. At 11 we were ushered into our classroom for the week. We finished in there at 7 for a poster session outside it where we all introduced ourselves to each other and talked about what we do. At 8 that finished and we went to dinner. After that we checked into our rooms and I was I bed by 9!

I woke at 6 next morning and it was dark. I hadn't seen anything of where we were staying as it was pitch black when I went tomy room so I made a decision then and there. No running all week.

That was a good plan. Lectures started at 8.30 and the earliest finish was 7.30. 

It was good of course, but so intense. There were people from all over.....Australia, Hong Kong, Brazil. Lots of European countries. About 40 in all. Some I never spoke to, a number I spoke to a lot. Some didn't seem to speak all week. I always mean to do that. Never happens :-D

Anyway, despite the lack of running I was really tired when Mr H picked me up on Friday afternoon. We went to a hotel in Tonbridge and I flaked out for a while before we went to Claire and Andrews wedding reception. Which was lovely.

Saw people I hadn't seen for ages, talked a bit of rubbish, you know, the usual. Collapsed into bed after so tired!

Proper brekkie in the morning then off home. Chucked my gear in, got ready for Survival of the a fittest. I will be honest, I wasn't really looking forward to it, I was tired and shaky. But, I knew it would be ok once I started. Took a hundred trains to get there, but we finally did and I wandered about a bit, saw the wall at the end. 8ft. Fuck!

Soon enough Cristina my friend text me to say she had finished and we found her. She was on an endorphin high and had loved it. This cheered me and I went off to get warmed up in one of those aerobic style wave start things that are popular in the big events. I will admit when the fun went I was all RARRRRR!

First thing was 10m from the start. Hay bales that you had to get up onto and over. Bizarrely this was really hard on the quads! And the already bruised knees.....ouch!

However once I got over them I got into a fairly good rythym and the running bits I felt good. I can't now remember all the obstacles but I will try to list some

Walls to get over, tyres to run through, car to get through, lorry to run through, skips to get in and through and out of, run round running track carrying cone, run round track doing steeplechase, lots of slippery ramps to run up and then grab top before you fell back down, monkey bars, parallel bars, endless clambering up ramps along boards down ramps and reapeat (lots) large pool of water to run through, inflatables to force your way through, carry beer barrel through beer tent, and the worst, the very last obstacle, the 8ft wall. Obv I needed a leg up, but the worst bit is dropping down the other side....hideous!

But I did it. In 1 hour 4 minutes something. Felt amazing when I finished :) managed to inhale a curry when I got home and fell into bed :)

Fall out? Bruises from knees down on both legs, massive bruise on left thigh, and most strangely a huge bruise on my wrist where I had a paper wrist band that was a little too tight.

Nope, it wasn't handcuffs. Seriously I was so tired no restraint was required :-D

Anyway, up fairly early Sunday for xc at Gloucester Park. In short, it felt incredibly hard, my legs had little in them, but I was third lady scorer and as a team we won the match divisional prize. Nice :)

Got home from that and had to read to ensure I was ready for my talk the next day which had been cancelled a few weeks before. It went well, I felt happy. I enjoy public speaking when I've prepared properly and it's cool to be able to talk about your research.

So I felt that was a long long week. Which maybe why I only just finished the blog.





No comments:

Post a Comment