Total Pageviews

Sunday 4 March 2012

Was it the right decision then?

Maybe it was.

Thames Path 100 miler abandoned at about 24 hours.....bad weather conditions turning up just when the runners still out are at their lowest physical point. Tired, cold and struggling with nutrition.

Now I dont think I would have finished before this. How would I feel if I was still running ? Devastated or just relieved? A mixture of both maybe :-/

Thats academic though since I didn't make the start line and I think all the people who did are amazing. I have already seen some great times posted even though officially I'm not looking.

Back to me though. I struggled to run 3 miles today, I appear to have tweaked my knee somehow. It's never a brilliant knee but I think a week of squats and jumping jacks have pissed it off somewhat, so I will lay off them a bit. I have however swum 3 times in the last 4 days. And that would explain why my left shoulder is sore.....well that and flinging cans of soup about. Since its the site of an old fracture I'm going to assume that it will just always be a bit stiff until it realises that now its spring the swimming is here to stay for a bit.

Does everybody look at bits of their body like they are not really a part of you? Especially when you dont think they are doing what you think they should?* I do know that when I am running at my best one of the things I do is take a great deal of pleasure in how everything is working and the rythym that I feel in that.

Yup, I'm a bit of a wierdo. Weirdo. Whatever.

I had toyed with the idea of running 13 this morning, after all I do still have London. But tbh running at parkrun yesterday I knew that my knee wasn't having it and I am so over running in pain, unless it's for a good cause. I might even defer London, the thought of doing a mara right now leaves me quite cold. I would however like to do some speedwork but that does depend on the self diagnosis of my knee being correct. Mind you if I dont do London I will spend loads of time explaining why I havent so maybe I should just man up and do it :-D

I did enjoy tailrunning at parkrun yesterday, felt a bit awkward when I had to ask someone who started walking after 200m if they were in the parkrun or not, I wasn't being funny I just needed to check I didn't overtake anyone. Very much enjoyed encouraging the last runner to run in. She said herself that the reason she kept stopping was psychological rather than physical so the fact she ran more than she has done before made me smiley.

Did you watch the horizon programme on Tuesday? I watched it having recorded it and read lots and lots of comments on various forums. Many comments I read were looking at the programme in terms of what they do, ie run marathons and the like.

And so it was 'oh yeah right, I can get fit just by 3 mins exercise a week, I'll just bin my training and eat cake for the rest of the week'

NO you bloody moron, this is the minimum amount of really really high intensity exercise necessary to maintain health as measured by certain parameters. That part of the programme was a really small bit of it and the conclusions were........drum roll....................................really long drum roll..................................................

We are all different and we all need to do different amounts and types of exercise to maintain/improve OUR fitness. There is no one size fits all

But if you are only going to do 3 minutes a week then make sure its bloody hard :-D and that you have a car big enough to carry that bike around in.

Bit of pointless information, I have met and spoken to 2 of the people who were on that programme :) that made me happy.

Right I think I have banged on enough for now, I just need to say something before I go........

HAPPY BIRTHDAY @sarahlouisetayl for tomorrow, I am sure you will agree that is much better than getting a card that turns up on time ;-D

No comments:

Post a Comment