Total Pageviews

Monday 4 June 2012

Experimenting......

On me!

So 4 weeks ago I made an appointment with the guy who does my sports massage for PT with a very specific goal. To get me running properly again.

He is a qualified coach too and the running talk we had done made sense to me. We agreed I would see him once a month (can't really afford more than that) but that he would provide a running schedule also.

So first visit he shows me a mobility circuit sort of yoga y stuff some strength work and some core. He sends me a schedule of how many and when and 3 running sessions all of which contain a certain core element to be done at a target pace.

Well as near as you can get (not very) From what I can see so far we go light week (20 miles) to a bit more miles week (30+ miles) then back.

I haven't hit any targets so far but then that's why they are targets and I need a decent period of training with the strength and core stuff included to see the benefits.

I went back this Saturday for my second PT session, he showed me more exercises focusing a lot on lunges. I happily did what he showed me, getting the arms wrong EVERY SINGLE TIME. And thought on the way home 'I feel a bit tired' I was supposed to be doing 14 miles at MP but I was just Knackered. So I decided to put it off till later. We travelled to Maidenhead for a party. The 50th birthday of my PhD supervisor who does know how to party. On his 40th I remember I was in Sicily as I was presenting the next day but was kept amused by everyone texting me from his party telling me what a fab time they were having and how drunk they were :-D anyway it was probably doing that presentation that gave me the confidence to be able to finish my PhD so it wasn't all bad.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes we went to maidenhead and I decided to do one of next weeks sessions a 5 miler with 2m at 10k pace. So off I went, 1 mile easy, 1 mile at......oh fuck, what am I doing, I can't breathe, my legs are like lead, what am I doing? So I did 2 more easy miles and called it a day. Went to the party, was awesomely well behaved, but aware my legs felt really tired. We marched back to the hotel in a monsoon at midnight.

When I got up for the loo at about 4am I was more than surprised that my glute muscles had failed. I had to roll out of bed and hang on to the side of the bath to place myself on the toilet. I cannot remember the last time I had DOMs like that, I feel better after marathons!. I felt better after 10 marathons!!!

So yesterday I still didn't do the 14 miler, I did nothing, I was completely incapable. I watched the progress of those doing GUCR and the deca, oh and the Madrid triathlon. That was all energetic enough for me :)

Last week I did my first 5k in ages as my club are part of a series and I would really like to be a part of it this year. My time was 24.41. I am taking that as baseline and bearing in mind my 5k PB I have lots of room for improvement.

Shall I try again for the 14 today?

No comments:

Post a Comment