Total Pageviews

Wednesday 29 August 2012

That, that, that,that, that dont kill me......

can only make me stronger, I need you to hurry up now, cos I cant wait much longer....

Come on!!!!!!!! I'm waiting!!!!!!!!

I had a good run at parkrun last week didn't I, I was dead chuffed with the time and my recent improvement.

So I knew that in theory I should have a good run at the Elvis race on BH Monday, held on the same course as parkrun. With this in mind I marshalled on Saturday and had a good chat to Vicki, the race director. We had so many volunteers that she could have run if she had her gear, which led her to suggest that me and her could race it out the next week.



OK, I thought, that will be a big ask for me as I know she has just got a 22.14 PB. Thats just over 30 secs better  than my PB......... but, you know what that's no reason to shy away. A challenge after all is a challenge :)

Anyway, so I just did a really short easy to the pool and back on Sunday, as I had felt tired Saturday afternoon, and I'm lazy.

So sunday I ran there (its actually 2.3 miles so a nice warm up) and registered. Then hung about as I'd got there far too flippin early. Then got in the line up for D88 photos, then ran away when someone decided we needed more photos, this time next to our flag, then finally lined up.

Because I didn't want to get caught up I placed myself not too far from the front, chatting to Jenny who is having a bit of a mojo fail at the minute (she'll be back) and I said to her 'I will be happy you know, when I beat xxxxxx' a girl from a local club who always beats me. And with that we were off.

I'm not going to lie, I felt brilliant. The last 5k PB I got I remember that horrible feeling when I started of my legs going too fast for my body and feeling I was going to stumble.......today I just felt strong. I knew I was running fast, I had an idea it was faster than last week, I passed 2 men from my club and wondered what was going on. (one would take me back later). My garmin beeped a mile.

I looked.

6.53.

I said 'FUCK!' The man running fairly close to me moved away a bit.

I decided I mustn't look at my watch until it beeped again. I did look back as I turned a corner to check on any ladies who could beat me and score in the series. Nope all clear. The ones who were in front were a bit too far off, but I could do my best to make sure no one came past.

Mile 2 7.09. Blimey. I'm still doing ok, I'm still running quicker than I ever have. And whats more, after mile 2 in a 5k you are almost done......I chant to myself  'less than a mile, less than a mile' it keeps me entertained.

I know I need to work on keeping strong in the last half mile but I think I'm getting there, that mile was 7.23, I think, slowing yes, but my previous weeks run had an overall average of 7.31 so I wasn't unhappy.

Final time 22.16. 9th lady and a 31 second PB. and I beat xxxxxxx.

Whats more I think I really can give Vicki a run for her money :)

No comments:

Post a Comment