Total Pageviews

Monday 24 September 2012

This is gonna be easy!!!!!

That's what I thought.

But let me explain a bit. In February I entered the JW Ultra. Not unusual, this would be the 5th year I had entered it and I do believe I have blogged previously about how much I love this race. It's like meeting all your mates for a social weekend and having a bit of a run in the middle.

A couple of months later Matt put forward the idea of a relay, he wasn't into mara running this year and I will admit I thought about it, but then decided nope, I'm gonna do the ultra, I always do the ultra. And I wanted to do it sub 4.30, not a time that would win any prizes but a time I have always considered decent for that course.

Move forward a few months, I 'm running the worst I have ever run, I have pulled out of any long races I had planned and could quite frankly give up running completely. So thankfully I found out the cause, but the build back up was not going to see me run any great distances before september, so dilemma time. Do I run the whole thing and hate myself for not doing it well?

Or,

Do I step in to Matt's relay team who are now a member down and go for a fast 10 miles given that my short speed has increased quite dramatically.

Not really difficult to see what to do is it!

So I stepped into be a part of team Mad and Madder. (Which actually is just bloody right really, anyone who saw us Saturday night will agree.......though maybe twat and twatted would be better).

Here was the plan, I would do first leg because I love the start and racing people at it, I've done lots of races lately and the buzz at the start does it for me (I'm funny like that, I really enjoyed my typing exam because of the time pressure and the adrenaline that made your hands shake). Then Matt would take over for the middle leg as he's used to running on his own and would do well here, then Kate for last leg cos she would chase anybody down she saw and is quickest.

Brilliant!!!

Sadly Matt injured himself on holiday so decided about 10 days before to pull out. Not good but there isn't much you can do about injuries. I spoke to Kate, neither of us was really up for 20 so we needed someone else. Luckily a twitter friend Sid offered and we were a full team again. I sent him the instructions and all that and he was going to meet me at cp1 on the day as he had other committments.

Day of the race dawned cold but clear, was lovely and relaxed cos me and Kate were staying at Lesleys (part of the race crew who is far too attached to excel but she is a really good hostess). We got to Stratford and I just needed a few pees behind the trees before I was ready to race, with a number belt on that I could give to Sid at changeover.

I started right near the front as I figured I needed to get a good start so as not to be caught up in the fields at the beginning. And I got a blinding one. I honestly bounced the first mile and until a bit more than 3 miles was first lady and there weren't that many men in front of me :) That was all good and I will be honest because I knew I was only running 10 miles I felt brilliant and I knew I could keep it up. I even managed a nice chat with Pete as he overtook me at about 7 miles in. I knew when I got to the aquaduct thingy that I wasn't far now (yes I did run along with my hand in it) and then when I saw Paul the photographer he told me it wasn't far, and indeed it wasn't long til I saw all the people on the bridge. I gave it an extra effort when I saw them and hoped I wasn't going to be sick. I started looking for Sid, for someone looking for me, for anyone really but the closer I got the more I realised that there was no one getting ready to tag me........ I dont think I believed it. 'wheres Sid' I asked Sharon..................she told me she didn't know what he looked like but she didn't think he was there.

Well.

I did lose it a bit. I really wanted some glass or something that I could smash (dont tell Mr but some of the kitchen stuff that has got broken, it wasn't an accident :-O ) I may have jumped up and down, I may have used words like fucking, kill, wanker, punch.......those sort of words i do so apologise (although judging by the sea cadets later they thought I was quite amusing) but while I was having this meltdown I was also realising that there was only one thing for it. I was going to have to run the next section. So I set off with steam still coming out my ears and without taking any water or fuel from the aid station. Idiot.

I have never wanted to run 10 miles less, but I think sheer anger took me the first 2 miles. Then it started to hurt, really hurt. I had given my all in the first 10 and Mark had told me before the race that if I had run the first 10 properly I shouldn't be able to run the second.(I'm wondering if he knew something here....hmmmmm?) Well I really wasn't. My pace was shocking and I was miserable. I needed water and fuel, and at 5 miles in I started walking mainly so I could cry!

I was saved by a cobra runner who gave me a sis gel and some mouthfuls of water. I hope I was gracious I am sorry if I wasn't. Anyway once I was past 6 I knew I could do it, one foot in front of the other, it will end. I have never been so glad to see cp2 in my life. I dont think I looked very happy though given that Matt didn't immediately rip the piss out of me :-D and Kate shot off like a bullet!!!

Sid arrived a little later having got very lost on his bike trying to find the checkpoint. He was very very sorry. Someone like me who is sooo bad at navigation cant really have that much of a go can they? Anyway I was too tired.

A little bit of TLC later and me and Matt travelled to the end to find Kate and find out that we were first relay team of only ladies over the line. RESULT! As we were entered as a mixed team we were not eligable for that prize however the race organisers did give us a special prize which was really lovely of them :)

Here we are being presented. I am already well on my way to being properly pissed here.

I would tell you about the rest of the evening. But I cant remember it.





No comments:

Post a Comment