Total Pageviews

Monday 14 January 2013

4 and 20 million doors.....

On life's endless corridors......

REALLY? Who counted them? And how do we know its accurate? That's a big number to keep in your head, or you'd need a big wall to tally that on.

Anyway, one door that opened to me recently was my new job. I've been there 6 weeks, and it's been, um, ok. Yes it's the job I wanted, but I'm still trying to make it fit. A conversation with the Prof who is my line manager on Friday made it feel better, but also made me realise that I have in effect 3 bosses. Which could be ok. Could be a disaster.

I still don't have a contract, and was paid by the wrong people last month. On a positive I should end up with more money, on a negative there will be some messing around paying things back and sorting out. Oh well. Today it is the inaugural symposium for the WT Biomarker project, in effect launching the project I'm on. I don't have to speak because I'm very new to it, but it will let people know we are here and so potentially things could get pretty busy from hereon in. That's ok. I like busy, I need to know I am contributing. I may have to forgo jeans and jumper for something a bit smarter.......*ponders wardrobe*

Okdk that's work done, now the only other thing I do :-D Running.

Aha!!!! It's not! I did a bootcamp class last week......well I say bootcamp, it was circuits, but that ok I loved it. I've booked a block of 10 sessions as the exercises in it are all of the kind that I have in my plan for strength and conditioning anyway and doing those exercises in a group is much more fun.

Really running now. I did the first Harrow Lodge parkrun on Saturday. It's a 4.2 mile run there, which incidentally I have decided is too long for a warm up, and then a one lap course mainly on grass and trails with about 200m Tarmac. Very different to my usual. This week it was in effect xc it was so waterlogged. 120 people lined up and looking around I saw my competition. First there was Caroline the best vet lady at my club who has been injured with PF for ages (and sub 3.15 mara runner, who can do a 20. Something 5k) but who is making a comeback, Nat, the tri sport girl who beat me NYD, and a young Havering Mayesbrook girl who is doing a professional looking warmup.

We start and immediately Nat goes away from me. I get into my stride and after about 600m I overtake her, I know she's not running her best but I not giving anything away! After about 2k I hear female breathing behind me and am not too surprised that Caroline overtakes me but I try hard to stay with her. I realise that Havering girl is in front of us both, and that one of my laces has come undone. I can't stop to do it up this is a 5k!!! Anyway if I fall it's only into mud. That won't hurt.

Keep plugging away then. Me and C are catching Havering girl and sure enough with about a k to go I overtake her, still chasing C. Turning the last corner the marshal urges me to catch her but the finish about 300m away is uphill on grass, and try as I might I can't make any headway so I finish 2nd lady, 10 s behind C but not unhappy with that. Tbh I am happy she is started to come back as it takes the pressure off me a bit but also gives me something to aim at.

Yesterday was xc at Thorndon Park. I am really enjoying this league, plenty of people to pit myself against and a 4.6 mile distance that is not too taxing. That's not to say its easy, oh no this course had pretty much everything. Hills, swampy grass, sucky mud, stiles and killer tree roots! So much variety I loved it and consequently ran really well for me coming 14th lady overall my best performance this season. I was aware of some toe pain during the race and thought it was because my feet were so cold, but I think a previously damaged toe took a bit of a beating on the downs because it has kept waking me up all night when I move. Today I wish I had bought those uggs I saw the other day so my foot could live in a sheep today :-D

I now have an image of me walking around with my foot up a sheeps bum. That's wrong isn't it? I think I have sleep deprivation. That'll be it.

Next week I have Benfleet 15, which is basically a 15mile xc. I am booking a surgeon for the end to do the foot amputation that will most definitely be required.

No comments:

Post a Comment