Total Pageviews

Sunday 19 May 2013

I'm so tired I can hardly think, so I'll feel instead,

And let you loose inside my head.....

Oooh. Scary :-D

Heads is very relevant. I spent Monday at a conference listening to really interesting talks about the role of inflammation in Alzheimer's. it's always been there and there have always been argument s about whether it is cause or consequence. Well obviously it's never that simple, but it is proving a very interesting area of research at the moment and I'm involved in some projects looking at just that.
I think one of the most interesting, and worrying things is that events occur so many years before onset of disease. Prevention is where you have to come at it from but well that ain't easy.

Anyway *shakes self* that's enough of that. I was off for the rest of the week. Well nearly all of it. I think I pottered really. In the gym, at home, just stuff. Was nice. I do like my own company and sometimes it's just nice to be quiet.

Thursday I went into town and met my Swedish boss for coffee and a meeting, then went to Hyde Park for a bootcamp. Was great but quite a hard one. I walked back to Tottenham Court Road down Oxford Street.......which gave me enough people contact to last the rest of the week! I got in and faffed about until the club handicap 5k which was held on Barking parkrun course. I've never done one before but it was fun, if hard work. I find it harder to push myself when I'm running sort of alone, but on the other hand you are chasing people so you do have a target. I was happy to finish in 21.31. There are 7 races in the series and I think they will be excellent for training.

I had run there and intended to run home but as I ran out of the park any energy I had left me and I just couldn't run. I had to walk home literally hanging on as I felt really shaky and sick. As I came up the stairs I was shouting for something, anything sweet to eat and Mr H saved my life with some ginger biscuits! Was weird but I guess a hard bootcamp and then a hard 5k was enough to make me bonk :-D

Friday I didn't feel all that good and although I intended to do some work I ended up sleeping most of the day. Maybe I was fighting something off? Don't know. I'm back taking iron whenever I remember now, quite paranoid about it I guess. I have reason to believe I need it.

Saturday is obv parkrun day. I felt ok but wasn't particularly going for anything apart from giving J a race. And I bloody did too! I love that running on each others shoulder thing, it really motivates you and during the last 6 weeks or so I have got to know her a little (she is really shy, and a lot younger than me) and we can laugh at things round the course, like the little old Asian man who walks round the lake with his headphones in singing something or other at the top of his voice :-D 

Anyway, the times were J 21.19 A 21.21. So I PBd and I am not at all unhappy with that.

Then we went and bought a vacuum cleaner. I bet you don't normally read that in blogs do you! I nearly got a dyson ball which costs as much as a house, but then we realised that the tesco voucher thingy doesn't do household electricals this time. Bum!!!! I was soooo excited.

It does however do BBQ equipment so we could get £400 worth of that. How fucking useful would that be, we don't have a fucking garden! I think also we could do baby stuff. Likewise. Huff.

Today was Great Baddow 10. A decent race that I have done 2 times since 2005 with a best of 1.23 or so. I won't lie. I was scared. DNFing last week upset me. Doing it again would be a disaster.

I got a lift down with club mates and that was quite pleasant, all nice people I get on with (that can be important, you want to get to a race relaxed, not having had your head talked off by someone with verbal diarrea, that has happened to me and when I turned on said person and snapped, well, they still talk about that :-D

Proper loos in the portaloos! They were ace and with girly soap and moisturiser too.....how cool is that! I moisturised my arms just cos I could!

Anyway, the race. I can't really tell you much because I ran naked. Yes you heard me, no watch. Call the press! I needed to know I wasn't going to mentally turn on myself if I looked at a mile split and was unhappy. So I ran as I felt. At 5 miles a guy was calling out times. 37.17. Okdk. That sounds alright I thought, keep at it. And I did.

At 8 I heard some familiar heavy breathing behind me. It was my club mate Vicky. Now I maintain, over short stuff I have her, but anything over 10k she is better, even though I have a better half than her. I stopped or slowed for water, she didn't I knew she wouldn't but I needed it, so she overtook me. Fair dos I thought I'm still doing ok, just keep pushing.

I did and I may or may not have just sneaked under 1.16. I don't know because I'm not on the results :( typical isn't it when I didn't wear my watch! But I'm trying to sort it.

I'm now Knackered again, and looking forward to 5k on weds night, the first in the Elvis series. I intend to hammer it!

No comments:

Post a Comment