Total Pageviews

Sunday 24 February 2013

In which I cover lots of miles.....

Not many of them running.

Been a busy week this one. Monday I was tired from lots of xc action so rested and had lots of meetings at work. Productive though, so it's all good.

Tuesday I ran to bootcamp and back at lunchtime. I'm still enjoying that :)

Wednesday I meant to go long, 16 I think, but woke feeling not all that. After a while lying about being useless I set out to do my short quick session, then a mile in decided on my medium session. So 10 with 8 at hmp.

Or supposed hmp shall we say. Why I struggle with this one is beyond me but I do. Maybe it's mental. All I can say is its a good job I race so much otherwise I would have no confidence in my ability. Or maybe someone could accompany me to the important part of a session, draw a line a fire a gun........that might work :-D

Anyway that done and dusted I set off to heathrow, where I had to catch a flight to Sweden. (Why do we catch things? Them planes are too fast for me you know) I figured I'd have lunch when I got there, I of course forgot to figure how long it takes. I barely had the energy to eat a pret sandwich when I got there but I was brave and managed.

Had a great flight there, window seat and no one in the two seats next to me. I treated my coat to its own seat and stretched my legs as far to the side as they would go, lovely :)))) also I always count a free beer on the plane as a victory.....don't you? I also feel a bit naughty drinking on a plane cos it's like a different universe where you have to be extra good ..... Well you have to be extra good to get on the plane don't you, and you're definitely going to be in the sun if you get arrested at the other end for drunken antics.

Still I felt quite confident that one beer would not lead to any unsavoury behaviour.

Got off and found the bus quite easily, which stopped right outside my hotel. Bonus. Well across the road, the most confusing mixture of road and tram tracks and a roundabout I have ever encountered. I ended up shutting my eyes and running across, no idea which way anything would hit me from. On the way across I remembered I didn't have any insurance. Bummer!

I made it though and checked in. Went to my 16th floor room, wrestled with the tv to turn it off cos they put it on to welcome you with your name on it.....Welcome Dr AJ.......enjoy your stay at Gothia Towers...blah blah. Then I needed food. Went out looking but basically I was a lift numpty and I couldn't seem to get to any floor I wanted to go to. My key card had other ideas. So back to my room and I decided I was very tired and 2 beers and a packet of crisps from the mini bar would do.

Next morning I raced to brekkie starving! I wasn't disappointed, there was EVERYTHING including pickled fish and crispbreads :-D you could even toast your own waffles, not that I could be faffed with that. I will say though, Sweden sort your sausages and bacon out. But well done on the boiled eggs. Just right.

I then paced around the lobby for a good 15 minutes eyeing suspiciously a woman who was a complete stranger to me but also that I was sure was my lift. Sure enough she was and it was a damn good job I approached her or I would've still been there now. Turns out that was the second day she had turned up looking for me. Funny!

The rest of the day was spent in the lab at the university/hospital. I met so many people I can't remember most of the names, had a meeting I knew nothing about but everyone else did, and got to spend a decent amount of time talking to Henrik who is one of my bosses (yeah, one of, it's very complicated and that one day was the most time I have spent talking to any of my bosses)

I came away reassured that what I am doing at work is actually ok, which sometimes as a postdoc is very hard to ascertain. I met Henrik and two of his friends in a pub later for dinner. They were both scientists too so chatting was easy. Oh yeah and they spoke English. Otherwise it would have been very hard.

Friday morning I spent at the airport again before flying back to london and spending a couple of hours at work before getting the train to Birmingham. I heard someone saying that at the time we travelled a london midland train single was 28 quid, a virgin train one, 120 !!!!!!!!! That's why I was on the london midland one that stopped at every fucking lamp,post on the way up. Still I made it and trundled to the IBIS (etap by another name, still a shithole) where I feasted like a king (!) before I fell into bed. To be woken many times by the youth getting in pissed and knocking on all the doors up the corridor, and the sounds of vomiting. Nice! Then my alarm went off at 5 and I eagerly awaited the arrival of @madlot and @julesperox to drive me to the Lickey Hills where we would meet @JWUltra and @sidowski and go RUNNING.

I do have to say Mark, thank you for taking us there. The route was fantastic and the views from the top were just awesome. My running has become very different lately, more focused with no time to smell the roses but this reminded me of why I love running and that I have the best friends ever!

I do like what I'm doing now, but a run like yesterday's is like running giving me a big warm hug rather than a peck on the cheek ..... Does that make sense.......?

Anyway, back to the hotel for the one thing the ibis does get right.....fucking ace shower! And then the interminable journey home, tired but happy. Was much pleased when Mr H picked me up and more so when he fed me curry later, although that curry is now doing its best to keep me indoors and not go out and do my reps. I will win though!



No comments:

Post a Comment