Total Pageviews

Saturday 2 March 2013

Why d'you need a reason for to feel happy,

And shining for the rest of the world?

You don't. You can be like me :-D

It's been a funny week. Some of it really good, some a bit crap really.

Started Monday intending to run 12 before work. Didn't. Took my kit in, determined to run home.

Did!!! I bloody did. And I only got lost a little bit, dead chuffed.

I intended to run Tuesday. Didn't. I did go to a swimming pool. I wouldn't call what I did swimming though.

Wednesday I knew I wouldn't run, I was meeting my friends and had a half day off. Heard all about the funeral of a mutual friend and drank beer. Too much beer really.

As penance I ran to gants hill in the morning. It wasn't very nice, but I did it. That was all the running I intended to do until Sunday (tomorrow) when I have essex 20.

Last night I went to the BRR quiz. I intended not to drink. It was crowded and noisy. Got drunk :-D

Was late home so intended to cruise round parkrun this morning. I PBd 2 weeks ago and had no desire to prove anything.

Got a lift there. No desire to add miles. Noticed a woman doing a PROPER warm up. She looks like she will beat me, I thought.

I wasn't wrong! However, I didn't want to get disgraced. Mile one was called. 6.40. Oh!

Halfway 10.31. Blimey.

End result, 21.24 another PB. I couldn't really ask more than that. Fast lady did 21.01. Chatting to her after she has a PB of 20.02. I aspire to this :) so that was good.

The crap part of the week was hearing that my PhD supervisor died last Sunday. Very sudden and thought to be pneumonia :(

In 1999, the day before my 30th birthday he offered me a post as a research technician in the department of neurochemistry. I had no experience but was almost finished my evening degree. In June 2000 the department had a party in his office to celebrate my degree results. I think it was October when we sat down and discussed the department funding me to do a PhD...... A brilliant opportunity for me. He was then very patient while I faffed around on starting it because my grandmother was very ill. He sent me the kindest letter I have ever received when she died in December. I still have it. And obv I did start, and finish the PhD with his (and others of course) endless patience and support. I remember being so chuffed with his praise when I gave my first talk at an international conference in 2002, and the brilliant dinner him and his wife took me and mr h out for after. I have kept in contact since, but the last communication we had was in September when he gave me a reference for the job I now have and wished me luck.

RIP John, all the tributes I have seen mention a true gentleman and scholar, and I can't say it any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment