Total Pageviews

Sunday 24 March 2013

When you want something you can't have.....

Well this hasn't been the week I wanted.

Started with a massive fail getting to yoga even though I got up practically the day before to go.

Monday night I went to see Russ and confessed that my knee wasn't right. It was a good thing to do. We looked at its stability (shocking) and worked on some exercises that I need to do to improve it. I didn't have much running on the plan anyway.

Tuesday night I went to the gym, did some treadmill and some swimming. Treadmill is def only for emergencys.

Wednesday the was the funeral of my supervisor. It was a good service, but standing room only meant I was on my feet for a lot longer than usual, and I realised during the day that my knee was incredibly stiff. Not helped in the slightest by being frozen too. We got home mid afternoon and basically did nothing. It was nice to spend some downtime with Mr H really, and yeah when you go to a funeral it does make you grateful for your nearest and dearest. It is easy to take them for granted and quite natural too I guess. You couldn't live if you thought about death all the time could you, what would be the point in anything?

Anyway, Thursday was swim at gym, cos its what I wanted to do. Knee was killing, and it basically got worse all day to the point that I couldn't go downstairs without a theme tune of 'fuck, fuck, fuck' which was nice for my colleagues. There are lots of stairs at work 2.

Friday I had booked bootcamp, but at 12.15 I decided it was a no go, even though my knee had done something self healing in the night. I was too scared tbh.

Saturday I did parkrun. As I was warming up I felt my knee twinge and decided I would run but stop if it got worse. Well it didn't it was fine even in slushy snow and 22.10 isn't too shabby.

Go figure.

Today was Hyde Park 20. Billed as a marathon training run. Now normally when I have a race I'm excited. I love putting a number on and going for it. That's what I do now. But this morning I just didn't feel right about it. I tweeted as much. I can't fault the organisation and the travelling was fine. Seeing some of the Barking crew was ace and I set off fine. I ran the first mile in 7.33 but it wasn't nice, I didn't feel good. Everything was stiff and I was already dragging my right knee round which I now know I do because the quad is too tight.

Now if this was a 5k I would a) have been running quicker from the start, b) know that I only had 2 miles to go and dig in. With 19 miles to go I was already in a bad place. Next 3 miles ticked off a bit slower in around 8.15s which were still acceptable but I wasn't that happy with. Then my laces came undone. I'm losing it now. Then around 5 2 barking club mates caught up and Vicky rightly asked me what was wrong. I answered as best I could trying not to burst into tears :-D she gave me a big hug and said they would run with me but I think it was too late. All I could think about was how rubbish I was running and that I was going to hurt something else and I was cold. It got to a point where I was slowing Vick down and I didn't want that. Yeah I could have finished but I was now doing 9 minute miles, that's not what I wanted or what I'm capable of so at the lap point 8 miles I walked off the course.

DNF - not something that happens to me often, but I don't actually feel that bad about it. Maybe cos it was billed as a training run? Maybe because I have just had enough cold weather running now. Maybe I want to get my knee right before I test it that much.

So plan for the next week is gym exercises and swimming. Biking is allowed too but yeah right in this weather? I think not. I

I did learn something. I know now that if I have a target in my mind (sub 2.45) and I'm not going to do it I will struggle. Therefore I either have to have a target and go for it, or have no target at all and enjoy it. That's cool, it's just a matter of getting my head in the right place. I can do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment