Total Pageviews

Sunday 28 April 2013

Cos it's easy, when you know how it's done....

You can't stop now it's already begun, you feel it running through your bones......

I can certainly feel it in my bones right now. I'm a bit tired.

So, this week. Work is a bit manic. I'm involved in lots of projects and currently looking into cloning myself in order to give them all my best attention. It's ok I will get there, I'm thinking that once the marathon is over I should do some weekend work. I've done it plenty of times before and there's a saying isn't there about finding a job you love and never working a day in your life. That.

Monday I rested, Tuesday I did bootcamp, weds I did one of my planned runs and went to Barking Park to do it. It was lovely in the early morning running round the still, flat lake. I saw a big heron and a little heron too. I love them. They are like aliens, but they aren't. Cool! Thursday I ran at club.

Friday night was cool, my friend Lee turns 40 on weds and his girlfriend arranged a suprise party in a pub near work. It was my job to get him to the pub without him suspecting as we often go out for a couple of beers on a Friday night. I was proper stressed about it, but it all went very smoothly and his face was a picture when he realised that really was his brother (come down from up north) in the upstairs room at the Perseverence :-D I will admit that I celebrated quite well.

So......when I woke up at 7 on Saturday morning I was definitely not doing parkrun. Oh no. However some tea, toast and gentle encouragement oh and a bit of emotional blackmail got me up and ready. Anyone can run 5k can't they!

I didn't have any target. It was cold, and we know how I feel about that, also J from Southend was there, she is J15-19 and has previously posted 20m something 5ks so I know currently I'm not going to beat her. I was right, she posted 21.05 and I did 21.59. Not unhappy with that at all considering how I felt before. Had a lovely chat to her dad after and told him about the ELVIS series, I reckon she would enjoy those races, though I'm not sure if there are 'open' prizes. Anyway it's all experience.

Anyway, I still had 15 to do on my plan, and I'd thought I would do it Saturday but I ruined that! So I had to do it today. Which was ok, but I had swimathon 5k to do too.

How hard can it be?

Well I went to bed a little stressed about it, and as a consequence woke at 5. That's alright though it meant I had 3 hours to drink tea! Which I did. And set of at 8 for what was to be a tempo run, aiming for 8.40s. And it was great! The sun was shining, the streets were quiet and I had a great playlist :) I avgd 8.30 s and was very happy with it.

Got in showered and collapsed for a bit before heading to the pool. They had everything quite well organised so it wasn't too arduous at all and before I knew it I had set off. 5 in my lane all down for 5k. It became obvious early on that once girl was really struggling, she must have guessed her speed cos I kept having to lap her. She must have given up early because before I had done a k she was gone. My strategy was 40,40,40,20,20,10,10,10,10.

Which was ok but at 2k I had an urgent need for a wee which wouldn't go away so at 2500 I got out and went, which was nice cos I could stretch my back. I got in with renewed vigour and although I had already decided I was doing the whole thing I now knew that it wouldn't be a problem. The lane counter was brilliant, keeping me well informed of where I was (in the pool you idiot!) and one of the girls in my lane had her own cheering section at the opposite end of the pool who cheered me up no end with shouts of 'go on red hat, you're doing brilliantly!' I'm not being sarcastic there, they were really good :)

And so roughly 2 hours 10 I finished. Tired but very happy. Posed for a piccy with my medal and we came home.

I have to do dinner now!

No comments:

Post a Comment