Total Pageviews

Sunday 1 September 2013

Put a wetsuit on.....

Come on, come, on, grow your hair out long (c'mon, c'mon) (Madlot)

That's the Vaccines that is. Whenever I hear that album I am running round Lake Windermere again. Happy (painful) days :)

Anyway, there is a reason for that title. In a bit.

Work was good this week. My Swedish boss was visiting so meeting galore and a bloody excellent one with a prof who works on Huntingtons. Her passion and energy are amazing and it energises you too. Hopefully we will have a fruitful collaboration. And yeah, that is an awful disease, but actually very helpful in understanding neurodegeneration because it is caused by one single thing and if you have this single thing there is no getting away from it. Unlike many other diseases which seem to be caused by many different factors with no definites, making them very hard to predict, diagnose and treat. 

Anyhow, my training was decent. A hard 3k paced session, a swim and a bloody hard 10k session that I was really pleased to get over and done with even if it did take me til Saturday to work up the courage for it. Consequently I volunteered at parkrun. I'm going to do that much more now, just choosing when to test my 5k speed. I feel this is quite sensible. God I must be getting old.

After volunteering I travelled with Mr H to Millwall dock where the Great London Swim was happening. A whole day of people swimming a mile in the dock. And it was fab. The sun was shining everyone was happy/nervous/excited. 

I was a little apprehensive as it had been a year since I had done OW. But, the wetsuit went on (bonus) and I joined all the rest of the wave for acclimatisation. The commentator had been going on about the water being a balmy 19.5 degrees. Oh good I thought, nice and warm :)

Obviously I have no idea cos it was freezing! I huffed about for a bit trying to get my head in the water then a guy told me to put my head in and blow bubbles. That seemed to work and I got out feeling good. We did a mass warm up which must look great in wetsuits and pretty soon we all filed in over the timing mat and were off.

I honestly loved it right from the moment I started. Withing 100m I found some feet to follow, albeit they were a bit erratic but that was fine. I was looking at all the buildings around the dock in the sunshine and it was lovely :) I had my only problem when we got right to the end for the turn around a buoy and this guy was doing breast stroke but couldn't decide where to go. I stopped so he didn't go into me and he promptly kicked backwards right into my collarbone which shocked me momentarily. He did apologise so I didn't drown him.

After that, the turnaround and back against the dock wall. Apparently Mr H walked all the way down there shouting me on but because I breathe to the left I never saw him:-D

Got out in 37.03. Very happy with that. We then had a bus ride through canary wharf that was great :) someone pointed out to me that I see that when I do London but seriously I hate that bit. The crowds press in and I just want them all to go away. They should, it would be lovely to run through there without them :-)

So resting then til this morning when we travelled off to the first redricks lake tri. I went there in 2010 to do an aquathlon and had an awful time. I panicked in the swim and had no energy on the run and finished sooooo last you wouldn't believe it!

Today my main aim was to complete an OW tri that I was happy with before London in 2 weeks.

Swim 750m. Loved it! Wasn't fast but I wasn't last no panic, no leaky goggles, even the big fish that grinned and winked at me didn't phase me :) the 400m run to t1 was interesting.

Bike, loved this too.....was worried about some aspects, turning right into busy road and the dual carriageway but they were fine. I passed a few people too :)))))

Run, my thing yeah? Didn't feel that fast but reeled in everyone I saw and finished well.

Yeah, happy with that. Don't know time or place but tbh this wasn't about that it was for confidence and it gave me that in spades.

Come on London! I'm ready :)))))))

No comments:

Post a Comment