Total Pageviews

Sunday 29 April 2012

I've been good I have :)

In that I said I wasn't going to run for a while and I haven't (much).

So I've spent the last few weeks swimming and biking mainly and quite enjoying it. I will admit to timing those things with VLM last week. I wasn't that upset about not doing it, I'm not actually that keen on watching it. If I'm going to watch people running I much prefer it to be within my attention span. 100m is good :-D

Anyway, this weekend was swimathon yesterday, 5k. I must confess an hour before it started I tried to ring the pool to pull out. I'd had a bit of bad news that is best not shared on a blog, and had spent the day as I do when I get stressed. Headache, stomach ache and unable to eat :-/

No one picked up though, so I thought , fuck it! And went. The organiser was a really jolly jokey bloke and he must have wondered who died when I turned up! I wasn't at my most sparkling, but we got over it :D

I was in a lane with two others, both also doing the 5k but obviously swimming together. It was ok but they would breast stroke slower than me up the pool, then front crawl faster than me back down. I spent more time than I would like letting them pass me and then slowing down. However I decided that since my one training swim over 1k was 2k I should just chill out and take it as it came. I broke it down to 40,40, 40, 20,20,10,10,10,10. With a drink after each. I counted wrong a few times and always count back when I do that so it was a nice surprise when I asked at 10 to go how many left and they said 4 :) yay!!!!! I was tired at the end but not overly so and I felt I could have gone on. I think although I don't see it I am a better swimmer than when I started tri.

So fish and chips bought on way home...8.30pm by the time we left the pool, and tea and I went to bed at 10.30 with the alarm set for 6 so I could get up for a club tri.

Well, I woke at 1.30am or so cos the rain was so hard on the window, and once I was awake, that was it. I had things on my mind that would just not let me go back to sleep. I had tea, and read a bit and arsed on twitter until about 4 when a police helicopter started circling overhead. Great.

At this point I knew there would be no sleep and I couldn't do the tri. We still had to go though as Mr H was down to marshall, so I decided I'd Marshall with him. At 5 I started making lots of noise to wake him which is why he slept really well until 6.30 :-D how does he bloody do that?

Anyway I noted a number of events being cancelled and one tri being reduced to a swim run. Oooh I thought, I can't bike when I'm this tired and hungry, but surely I could do a swim run?

So I packed kit for just that and left my bike at home (I was advised by mr h that me on the bike in this weather was not something he would entertain) the drive down to ongar was a bit hairy with various roads flooded, but when we got there I got just the news I wanted, it was swim run. Yes!!!

So the swim was 20 lengths which was ok apart from getting out at the deepend. I always like to demonstrate just how much strength I don't have in my arms and then roll myself onto the tiles like a whale. Then a very fumbled transition at poolside and out for what was pretty much an open water 7.5k. Roads were flooded right across so nothing you could do but splash right through, was actually quite fun.

The plan was not let the guy just behind me pass, and catch up 2 ladies I could see in the distance (i was 2nd slowest swimmer in my wave :-/)

The guy didn't catch me, I caught one lady a mile from home, and I almost had the other one on the finish turn but she heard me and gave a kick I couldn't catch. Not unhappy with the run overall.

Spoke to a girl about buying my tri and run bike after. Hopefully that will be sorted soon, and chatted to other club members over a cup of tea. Next tri is 2 weeks but I am definitely down to Marshall that one so I intend to cycle there and back.

I've been really lazy since, waiting for reports from marathons and kipping a bit :))

Think that's it.
Seems funny not saying ooh I ran a marathon. Nice funny though.

No comments:

Post a Comment