Total Pageviews

Saturday 1 December 2012

I've been away I've been working.....

But now I'm back and I need to know if you're still there, and I need to know if you still care......

Of course you do!

I left the Institute of Neurology in 2005, where I'd been a research technician and done a PhD, though I was still writing it up as I started a new job for the MRC. I didn't want to leave, but contracts end and it is true that working in a different group is good after your PhD, spreading your wings and all that.

I learned there that science was what I wanted to do, and met some of the best people I've ever known and still count lots of people from there as friends.

This week I went back, to start a new contract. I'm working on the same floor I was then but it is very different. The department I worked in went when the professor retired as is often the case. The department that replaced it is much bigger and the research range much broader but I have to say it has enthused me and I really hope I can step up to my new challenge. Currently there is lots of groundwork to lay for what is a very big and ambitious project but that's part of the fun. I'll admit I'm itching to get to actual research, but that will come. It's important to get everything right before we start, we will be dealing with precious samples people have allowed us to have, and that is a privelige.

Soooo not much to report running wise, been too wrapped up really. I volunteered at parkrun today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Seeing the last two ladies being so so chuffed at another improvement was actually much nicer than doing another 22 something 5k that I'm not that impressed with!

What I did do today was a 12 mile run with 10 at mp. That's 8.22 at the moment and I did every single one of them at sub that ... From 7.55 to 8.20.

Now that really pleased me. I didn't slow badly at the end last one was 8.15, and it shows me progress in maintaining pace and effort. This when physically I'm feeling quite flat and I'll be honest, tired.

Tomorrow's session is hmp, so harder but shorter. Then I'm off to see Elbow at the O2.

I'm a lucky girl :)))))

No comments:

Post a Comment