Total Pageviews

Monday 23 January 2012

Just because I can.....

Doesn't mean I always want to, or have to.

This weekend was a running/social weekend. Travel up to Birmingham on Saturday evening, stay at the ETAP, then get picked up in the morning to go to Gloucester where myself and my 3 chums were entered into the 50k.

Now, when I entered this race I didn't really think about it. An ultra in January seemed like a good idea. However on reflection, an ultra with a cut off (I think it was 5 hours but tbh I was totally confused by what it was and I think so was everybody else) wasn't a good idea. I am currently looking for a pace I can maintain over 100 miles (or as much of it as I can) and I happen to know that that particular pace isn't sub 10 minute miles.

So for the last few weeks I have been stressing about the race even though it's supposed to be a fun weekend I realise I dont really want to do the race. But then I wont meet up with my pals.....and that thought is what won out in the end.

My head however, is not in race place.

Bear in mind also that two of my friends are not marathon fit, let alone 50k fit (the other one is a lean mean trained racing machine).

So we go to Gloucester, and I see pretty much everyone I have ever met at a marathon, because gloucester is a race for PROPER RUNNERS. 10 in 10 ers everywhere, 100 club people and lots in club vests. (oh and Gaz who was picking up his headtorch and lent us some pins, thanks Gaz)

Marathon starts, 10 or so minutes later we do, 2 miles til you join the lap proper, then 4 x 7 mile laps.

I'll be honest. As soon as I started running I was thinking about last year where I had a bit of a rough time and decided that actually I hated the course. It was good to be running with my friends and having a chat but I couldn't see myself finish, I just didn't want to.

Long story short, when Mark started making noises about how far he would be able to go (bearing in mind he was staring a new job the next day and didn't want to feck up his back for it).......I decided that 2 laps would be enough, I was soooooo looking for an excuse to stop (this isn't like me).

And that's what we did, we stopped at the turnaround before you go on to lap 3. We took our numbers off and waited there for Jules to pass cos he had the car keys and then we jogged back to the centre. Quick (fucking freezing) shower and then off to the finish to wait for Jules. We didn't have to wait too long, he finished looking remarkably fresh within his goal time and we were all made up for him :)

I on the other hand, felt really empty. I honestly wish I'd never started. Thats not saying I didn't enjoy running with my friends I did and I have run fantastic marathons with both of them and no doubt will again, I just shouldn't have done this one.

The first time I did Gloucester I loved it. The second time it was a bit of a trial due to my piriformis (which basically just hurts all the time now you just get used to it) this time my head was completely against running it. I will not be going back, it's one of those courses I am done with.

I tweeted some silly rubbish after and I feel I should say, please dont ever take anything I say on twitter seriously. I would not tweet anything really important, and if something awful had happened I rather think you would know because of my silence rather than anything else :D My sister has been known to ring me because she hasn't seen me tweet in a while.

The view I had most of the day.
Anyway, thanks to Matt, Mark and Jules for the entertainment, and one of these days I will be up to run a TNSG run in Sutton Park :)))

No comments:

Post a Comment