Total Pageviews

Sunday 15 January 2012

You can hide 'neath your covers........

..and study your pain....

OR.....

You can do what you said you would :-)

I had announced earlier this week that Saturday would be v long run day. My ideas of a very long run were unclear. At first it was going to be get out the door at 6, and run til 6....then I came to my senses, and thought dyou know what? I might be a bit of a lunatic but running that long is only for race day when I can get presents at the end. I'm not doing it for nothing you know!!!!

Then I decided that it gets light at 8 and dark at 4. That'll do.

So Friday I left work early so I could do some housework and get an early night without being tempted by the pub. I am weak, what can I say.

Went to bed early and set the alarm for 6, to allow me to get a good breakfast before I set off.

I woke at 7. Of course I had forgotten to set my alarm :-O ok no disaster you will just set off later. I dressed warmly and put water, jelly beans and money in my rucksack. I woke Mr H and told him I would be back every 2 hours to check in.

I set off.

I ran approximately 4 miles using 25/5 to a place called the chase. Basically a very small reserve, with trail paths running through it. It has a very nice mile long lap within it that I know like the back of my hand and I love because it is bumpy rather than just flat and I always see lots of birds there, even though it is in the middle of Dagenham.

I decided once there that I would do 25/5 to 2 hrs. The next 2 hours would be 12/3. So I got to 2 hours and then walked for 15 mins. I rang Mr H and said I was fine I would come back later. I had enough water and sweets and I didn't even need my iPod I was happy enough.

12/3 worked really well up to 4 hours, but I needed something different to eat and drink, so I ran to a shop about 0.5 miles away, bought a bounty and a bottle of coke and ran back. I rang Mr H and said I was fine but I would be really grateful if he would come along after 6 hours and walk a couple of laps with me to make it 7 hours.

Anyway, 12/3 worked really well until about 6 hrs 20 mins when Mr H turned up and we walked the final 2 laps to make it 32.6 miles in 7 hours.

Things I learned

When you need a wee, you really hate dog walkers

When it's really cold you think you don't need to drink, but you need more than I had

Cold tesco jelly beans are bloody hard

Lock laces are fab, but not for hours. Not being able to loosen your shoes when your feet are sore is horrid

Run walk from the start is essential for someone like me, it breaks it down into manageable chunks. I would do 4/1 if I found it necessary.

The bigger the dog, the more likely it is to jump up and try and floor you

On an ultra a change of hat must not be forgotten

Shock absorber bras work!!!!!

Always have a bounty and a bottle of coke in your bag

I bloody love running!!!!!

Today I feel fine and have run 8 miles. I am sure that is because of my sensible strategy yesterday. I have given myself a massive confidence boost just by spending so long on my own yesterday and keeping going.

If it had been pissing down with rain yesterday I feel this may have been a very different blog :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment