Total Pageviews

Sunday 26 February 2012

Team Player......

See, I can be, when I want :)

So yesterday was the National XC Champs at Parliament Hill. I have pretty much avoided doing XC for the last couple of years due to it not fitting in at all with my plans. If I want to do a long run then travelling for ages to do 8k isn't ideal.

Which is a shame. It really is, because I actually do love it, and I always have. It was better at school when I was one of the quick girls, but then xc was all I did and I probably weighed as much as a twig ;-D

Anyway I agreed to do this to make up a team, and people had said it is great event to do. As previously discussed I have no speed and in fact since the quad I had only run 30 minutes, so I didn't expect to be troubling the leaders, in fact having heard about the first hill I was wondering if I could actually run it at all.

So, arrive on the train at Gospel Oak (this is no where near Barking even though I always thought it was) and you are there, no messing, it's as easy as that! See the hill.

Blimey, SEE THE HILL. See a sea of juniors take off up it, and it seems to take them ages to dissapear from view, and all the while they are going up. That''ll be me soon.

Have a wander, find a loo, find our coach who has the numbers and chips (ankle chips not real ones, which was a shame cos I was really hungry), start getting ready and meet @Shazmo, who is down with Bournville Harriers to support them. Oh and I bought a t shirt too. Feel really quite happy to be at this event, I can feel my love for running return before I've even started.

Line up with my team in pen 46. Caroline, me, Caroline and Timi. In order as we are instructed by a scary lady in high viz. If there is any form of racing that makes you feel like you are still at school then it is xc.

And we are off, and I start running in a sea of senior women. I focus on the ground in front of me because that is the only way I am going to run all the way up this hill. And I just keep on and on wondering if it will end. Obviously it does, and at some point after this but not long I look at my watch because I am sure I have been running for 20 minutes. I am shocked to find out it is only 7 :-D However having managed that hill I am determined to run everything and I settle in. I know it is laps but I didnt look at the map so I dont have a clue how they work I just follow the girls in front of me. None of the course appears to be flat and some of the ups are quite steep and my run probably isn't faster than a walk but I dont care I WILL NOT STOP.

Just before half way, I think I am am roused by this shout 'GO ON AMANDA, DO THEY KNOW YOU JUST DID 4 MARATHONS IN FOUR DAYS' and even though I was pretty knackered that made me smile for ages thanks to @LeeHODster for that :)

The second lap had us zig zagging and crossing each other around the place and I was never really sure where I was until suddenly you appear at the top of the hill where you run down and turn left to the finish straight. Got a nice shout from @Shazmo on my way down and then concentrated on trying to over take any of the 3 women in front of me. I got one, nearly got another and then it was the line and I nearly was sick. Ha! Gave my chip in and went to find my gear.

Proudly sported my new t shirt......the wrong way round I discovered when I got home (why does no one ever tell me?) and went to watch the men come down the hill.

All the Dagenham runners finished ok, and I found out later that we have never fielded a full ladies team before, so it was really nice to have been a part of that.

I also now remember why I like running, and that I can enjoy the short stuff just as much if not more than the marathons and ultras, and despite the fact that I didnt feel particularly fast (I wasn't) I did feel quite strong, and I can build on that.

and for a change when I'm running lately, it wasn't fucking cold.

1 comment: